Dr. Conley knows that chiropractic care is integral to well-being and should be combined with preventative medical care for optimal health. She recognizes the importance of working with a team of professionals to provide you with relief from pain, rehabilitation, and education to enhance your quality of life.
What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is the science and art of finding and correcting vertebral subluxations for the purpose of restoring optimum function to the musculoskeletal and nervous systems of the body. It is non-invasive and conservative in its approach to health. It does not utilize drugs or surgery, but rather enhances the body’s ability to heal itself.
What are vertebral subluxations?
The founder of chiropractic, Daniel David Palmer, described subluxations as vertebrae that are not dislocated or out of place, but are out of normal anatomic relationship with adjacent vertebrae and cause decreased functioning of nerves. Current scientific definition describes “spinal lesions” as areas of abnormal movement, local or referred pain, and tenderness to touch which, when manipulated, produce therapeutic effects on the body.
Why might I need a chiropractor?
Chiropractors are educated and licensed to diagnose and treat problems of the spine, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and nervous system. In addition, they are knowledgeable about stretching, strengthening, nutrition and ergonomics (using the body and its environment correctly), all of which contribute to optimal health.
Some conditions that can respond well to chiropractic care are: back pain, neck pain, headaches, tendonitis, sprains and strains (elbows, knees, ankles, etc.), tight muscles, numbness, sciatica, carpal tunnel syndrome, colic, chronic ear infections, sports injuries, foot pain, work injuries, and injuries from car accidents. In general, many conditions that involve joints, muscles, or the nervous system could be helped with chiropractic care.
In addition, chiropractic treatment can be very useful in the prevention of pain and injury and in the management of chronic pain that results from osteoarthritis.
Is chiropractic treatment painful?
Treatment by a chiropractor consists primarily of a series of “adjustments” or “manipulations” to reduce or remove vertebral subluxations. Adjustments, which produce very small changes in the positions of vertebrae, can be performed in a variety of ways from a pushing or pulling motion with the doctor’s hands, to a light, quick force applied by a small instrument, to applications of pressure over vertebrae or muscles or ligaments. Adjustments are designed to relieve pain, not to produce it. However, in areas of the body which have been recently injured or are already quite sore, an adjustment might be momentarily unpleasant. Dr. Conley will choose the type of adjustment that she feels will produce the greatest benefit with the least chance for discomfort. In addition, she will encourage a patient to do things prior to an adjustment, such as applying ice or heat, that will help make treatment more comfortable and effective.
Is chiropractic care safe for infants, children, and adolescents?
Yes. Chiropractic care for infants and young children is delivered in a manner different from that delivered to adults. From birth to approximately 5 years of age, the skeleton is primarily made of cartilage and is therefore softer and more mobile than fully-formed bone tissue. For this reason, chiropractic adjustments during infancy and early childhood are delivered using minimal force and without rotation of the spine. Often manipulation is applied using a special instrument or with the chiropractor’s little finger.
Chiropractic care provided to children after age 6 is similar to that provided to adults. In all cases, an individual’s size, condition, history, and personal preferences are taken into account when determining the type of adjustment to be delivered.
For more information about chiropractic health care, visit the American Chiropractic Association at www.acatoday.org and the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine at www.nccam.nih.gov.
Our Chiropractic Services Include:
- Free consultations: You are welcome to visit with Dr. Conley at our clinic to discuss your health for the purpose of determining if chiropractic care and our clinic might be right for you. At a consultation, no examination or treatment is rendered and there is absolutely no charge.
- Comprehensive examinations to determine your diagnosis.
- Referral to a local facility of your choice if x-rays, MRI’s, CT scans or other diagnostic tests are necessary.
- Referrals to medical professionals: If Dr. Conley feels that your condition warrants or would benefit from the involvement of your medical doctor or any other health practitioners, she will gladly refer you.
- Comfortable chiropractic adjustments delivered gently by hand or by use of an instrument called an Activator. Dr. Conley is also skilled in a technique called Cox Flexion Distraction which is an extremely gentle and effective treatment for lower back disc problems.
- Electrical Muscle Stimulation and Ultrasound: Used to diminish pain, muscle spasm, and swelling.
- High Quality Nutritional Supplements and Counseling.
- Ergonomic Evaluations at your home or office: To help to make your environment less stressful on your body.
- Referrals to our massage therapist and to Fitness by Mark as indicated or desired.
- Safe, scientific, and supervised weight loss featuring IDEAL PROTEIN products is administered by Dr. Conley and partner, Valerie Loughran, at Weight Management Clinic, Inc. Call 319-337-3004 for more information or visit www.weightmanagementiowacity.com
- Monday, Thursday: 10:00 a.m. to 1 p.m.; 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday and Friday: 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.; 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Wed: Closed
- First Saturday of each month from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Contact Conley Chiropractic and Massage Therapy today at 319-887-6992, or browse our website for more information about massage therapy or or go to www.weightmanagementiowacity.com for more information about weight loss.